Is abortion legal in Cameroon?
Abortions in Cameroon are highly restricted and only allowed in the following circumstances:
- When a woman’s life is at risk
- To preserve a woman’s mental and physical health
- In the case of rape and/or incest
Cameroon suffers from a shortage of qualified physicians, weak health infrastructure and an abortion law that is rarely implemented or adhered to.
Many women and medical professionals are unaware of the legal abortion rights entitled to women and many women who seek to obtain legal permissions for an abortion are often faced with obstacles, which cause delays and lead her to seek an unsafe abortion elsewhere.
What are the different (PAC) services available in Senegal?
- Medical Abortion (MA) – Abortion with pills
- Surgical Abortion
- Manual Vacuum Aspiration (MVA)
- Dilation & Curettage (D&C)
Note: Both MA and surgical abortion are mainly utilized in Post-Abortion Care as obtaining a legal abortion remains stigmatized and highly bureaucratic.
Who can perform legal abortions in Cameroon?
Only qualified physicians are allowed to perform abortions and the law requires that:
“The doctor shall obtain the opinion of two experts each chosen respectively from legal experts and members of the National Council of Medical Practitioners. The latter shall testify in writing that the life of the mother can only be safeguarded by means of the intervention. The protocol of consultation shall be made in 3 copies one of which shall be handed to the patient and the other two to the consultant physician and legal expert. Besides, a protocol of the decision taken shall be sent by registered mail to the chairperson of the National Council of Medical Practitioners.”
Note: Obtaining such permissions is highly time consuming and often not guaranteed.
Where can I go for abortion services in Cameroon?
- Legal abortions can be performed at registered public and private health facilities, though services are often limited in rural areas.
Note: These services are often expensive and as such, many poor and rural women are unable to access them.
What is the cost of a safe abortion in Cameroon?
The costs of safe abortions differ by facility (private or public) and provider. The costs can range between 10,000 – 20,000 CFA. Generally a medical abortion costs significantly less than a surgical procedure.
What abortion pills are available in Cameroon?
- Misoprostol is available under the brand name Cytotec.
Can I buy abortion pills at a pharmacy in Cameroon?
- Misoprostol can be bought from pharmacies; however, an accompanying prescription may be required and the cost of the pills will vary between pharmacies.
Note: Many pharmacists do sell the pills without a prescription, however they do not often provide proper instructions on eligibility, dosage and usage for a medical abortion. Please refer to the following page on our website for comprehensive instructions on how to use the pill: https:/www.howtouseabortionpill.org/howto/
Who can I contact for additional information and support in Ghana?
- Association Camerounaise pour le bien-être familial (CAMNAFAW IPPF)
Tel:(+237) 22 20 36 99
Address: Derriere la residence de l’Ambassade du Nigerie – Bastos BP. 11994 – Yaoundé
- Plan International Cameroon – Country Office
Tel: (+237) 2 22 21 54 58
Address: Nouvelle Route Bastos, Opposite German Embassy – Yaoundé
- Center Region (Biteng)
Montée Maison Blanche - Etoug Ebe
Messa Yaoundé, Cameroon
Tel: (+237) 243 59 38 15
- East Region Mokolo
Tel: (+237) 222 24 22 91
- North-West Region - CCC Junction - Ntarinkon
Tel: (+237) 233 36 35 91
- North Region - Quartier Plateaux
Tel: (+237) 222 27 16 15
- Adamawa Region - Centre Commercial, Behind MTN Ngaoundéré
Tel: (+237) 222 25 25 41
- Far-North Region - Pitoaré, Behind Institut du Sahel (ISS)
Tel: (+237) 222 29 13 50 / 222 29 24 98
- Center Region (Biteng)
- International Youth Alliance for Family Planning (IYAFP) Cameroon
Tel: (+237) 6 99 37 06 00
- Mother of Hope Cameroon - MOHCAM
Tel: (+237) 6 73 54 05 17
Address: Savannah Street, 237 Bamenda, Cameroon
- Women for a Change, Cameroon (http:/www.wfaccameroon.org/)
Tel: (+237) 6 75 09 42 92 | 6 96 00 91 79 | 6 77 15 09 24 | 6 75 22 67 76
- Community Action for Gender Development (COMAGEND) - http:/www.comagendcameroon.org/
Tel: (+237) 6 75 46 99 66
Was this useful? What else would you like to see here?
Contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org