The new law on sexual and reproductive health in Benin allows abortion at the woman’s request. Abortion pills can be bought in pharmacies without a prescription and surgical abortions are also available. The abortion pill usually costs between XOF 700 and XOF 4,000.
Is abortion legal in Benin?
Voluntary interruption of pregnancy shall be authorised on prescription by a doctor when ;
- the continuation of the pregnancy endangers the life and health of the pregnant woman
- the pregnancy is the consequence of a rape or an incestuous relationship and the request is made by the pregnant woman if she is an adult, or by her legal representatives in the case of a minor
- the unborn child is suffering from a particularly serious condition at the time of diagnosis. at the time of diagnosis.
At the request of the pregnant woman, the voluntary interruption of pregnancy may be authorised when the pregnancy is likely to aggravate or cause a situation of material, educational, professional or moral distress incompatible with the interests of the woman and/or the unborn child.
What are the different post-abortion care services available in Benin?
The two types of post-abortion care services available in Benin are classified as:
- Medical methods: Using pills, such as Misoprostol (Misofem, Avertiso); and
- Surgical methods: Manual Vacuum Aspiration (MVA).
Who can provide post-abortion care services in Benin?
Legal abortion services can be performed by a gynecologist, general practitioner, or midwife. The overall cost of care is between 7,100 XOF and 10,100 XOF, with contraceptive method coverage at ABPF clinics. The cost of abortion pills varies from 700 XOF to 4,000 XOF at pharmacies. Untrained providers can often do more harm than good. In addition, religious, social, and provider stigma discourages many women from using these services.
Where can I go for post-abortion care services in Benin?
Post-abortion care services can be accessed at both government and private health facilities.
What abortion pills are available in Benin?
- Mifepack – 3700 XOF
- Miso-fem – 850 XOF
Where can I buy abortion pills in Benin?
Misoprostol is available at pharmacies; however, it cannot be sold without a prescription.
Some pharmacists might sell the abortion pills without a prescription. However, they do not often provide proper instructions on eligibility, dosage, and usage. Please refer to the following page on our website for comprehensive instructions on how to use the pill: https://www.howtouseabortionpill.org/howto/
What do abortion pills look like in Benin?
Who can I contact for additional abortion information and support in Benin?
The following organizations may be able to provide safe abortion information and support in Benin:
- Association Béninoise pour la Promotion de la Famille ABPF
Tel: +229 21 32 00 49
Was this useful? What else would you like to see here? Contact us at: email@example.com
- ‘Avortement au Bénin, entre droit et tabou’ Nafissate Hounkpatin, mafamilleplanifiée.org http://nhounkpatin.mafamilleplanifiee.org/avortement-au-benin-entre-droit-et-tabou/