Abortion is legal in Guinée under certain circumstances. The abortion pills can be purchased from pharmacies with a prescription, and surgical abortions are also available.
Is abortion legal in Guinea?
In Guinea, abortion is legal to save the life of the mother or in the case of early pregnancy, rape, incest, and when a fetus has a serious conditions. In this case, the abortion must be authorized by medical specialists, who will justify their decision in a report. It can only be performed by a doctor in a suitable public or private institution.
However, post-abortion care services are legal, though implementation and access remains mired by challenges.
What are the different post-abortion care services available in Guinea?
The two types of post-abortion care services available in Guinea are classified as:
- Medical methods: Using pills, such as Misoprostol (Cytotec, Mifegyne); and
- Surgical methods: Manual Vacuum Aspiration (MVA).
Who can provide post-abortion care services in Guinea?
Legal abortion services can be performed either by a gynecologist, general practitioner, or midwife. Untrained providers can often cause more harm than good. In addition, religious, social and provider stigma deter many women from seeking out these services.
Where can I go for post-abortion care services in Guinea?
Post-abortion care services can be accessed at both government and private health facilities.
What abortion pills are available in Guinea?
The two abortion pills that are available in Guinea are:
- Misoprostol, which is available under the brand name Cytotec;
- Mifepristone, which is available under the brand name Mifegyne; and
- Mifepristone, in association with Misoprostol, is available under the brand name Mifedia, 200MCG CPR B/4 + 200MG CPR B/1.
- Misodia, 200MCG CPR B/4. Price 1 900 XOF
- Misofem, 200MCG CPR B/4.
Where can I buy abortion pills in Guinea?
Misoprostol and Mifepristone are available in pharmacies, but cannot be sold without a prescription.
Some pharmacists might sell the abortion pills without a prescription; however, they do not often provide proper instructions on eligibility, dosage, and usage. Please refer to the following page on our website for comprehensive instructions on how to use the pill: https://www.howtouseabortionpill.org/howto/
Who can I contact for additional abortion information and support in Guinea?
The following organizations may be able to provide information and support on sexual and reproductive health in Guinea:
- Association Guinéenne pour le Bien Etre Familial AGBEF http://www.agbefguinee.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=28:presentation&catid=34:accueil-page&Itemid=69
Tel: +224 657 10 12 91
- Sexual and reproductive health helpine: +221 78 312 26 26 /+221 78 193 93 93 (WhatsApp)
Was this useful? What else would you like to see here? Contact us at: email@example.com
- ‘NOUVEAU CODE PENAL DE LA REPUBLIQUE DE GUINEE’ https://policehumanrightsresources.org/content/uploads/2019/07/NOUVEAU-CODE-PENAL-DE-LA-REPUBLIQUE-DE-GUINEE-Fevrier-2016.pdf?x96812