Abortion in mostly illegal, restricted and highly stigmatized in Indonesia which forces many women to resort to seeking unsafe abortions. Indonesia is the largest Muslim country in the world and has one of the highest unsafe abortion rates globally.
Is abortion legal in Indonesia?
Abortion is mostly illegal in Indonesia. However, there are exceptions depending on specific circumstances according to the Government Regulation No. 61 passed in 2014 supported by the Ministry of Health’s regulation No. 3 passed in 2016 which allows for abortions if the women’s life is in danger or within the first 40 days of pregnancy if a woman becomes pregnant because of rape.
What are the different abortion services available in Indonesia?
If the specific circumstances according to Indonesian law are met, the services available are:
- Medical Abortion (MA) by pill (Misoprostol, Mifepristone)
- Manual Vacuum Aspiration (MVA)
- Dilation and Evacuation (D&E)
Who can perform legal abortions in Indonesia?
Only obstetrician-gynecologists and medical doctors can perform safe abortions.
Where can I go for legal abortion services in Indonesia?
Safe abortion services are provided in designated public hospitals in Indonesia provided the circumstances stated above are met.
What is the cost of a safe abortion in Indonesia?
According to the Asia Safe Abortion Partnership (ASAP) Country Profile on Indonesia states that safe abortion services in the public hospitals in the country range from Rp. 300,000 to Rp. 2,000,000 (approx. 30 to 200 USD).
Which abortion pills are available in Indonesia?
Under the current laws in Indonesia, MA pills are legally restricted. However, misoprostol is available in the Indonesian market.
Where can I buy abortion pills in Indonesia?
- Misoprostol is available in pharmacies under the names: Chromalux, Citrosol, Cytostol, Gastrul, Invitec and Noprostol however, an accompanying prescription may be required. Prices will vary between pharmacies.
- There are various reports of unapproved medical abortion pills in the market and online stores which are being sold without a prescription. Please note that these unauthorized sellers do not often provide proper instructions on eligibility, dosage and usage for medical abortion pills. Improper usage of abortion pills may contribute to an unsafe abortion and may endanger your health and life.
- We recommend that anyone exploring the options of buying abortion pills online should visit trusted websites like Women on Web and Women Help Women.
- Please refer to the following page on our website for comprehensive instructions on how to use the abortion pills: https://www.howtouseabortionpill.org/howto/
What do the abortion pills look like in Indonesia?
Although abortion pills are legally sold in Indonesia, this is how Nosprostol looks like:
Who can I contact for additional abortion information and support in Indonesia?
- Samsara Indonesia:
(Hotlines are available from Mondays to Fridays 10 AM to 6 PM)
- Ask Inna
- Gynopedia Indonesia
- Asia Safe Abortion Partnership
- Global Abortion Policies Database for Indonesia
- Indonesian Planned Parenthood Association
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Telephone: +62(21) 720 7372; (21) 739 4123; (21) 724 5905
Address: JL. Hang Jebat 3, Blok F No. 3, Kebayoran Baru, RT.3/RW.8, Gunung, Kec. Kby. Baru, Kota Jakarta Selatan, Daerah Khusus Ibukota Jakarta 12120, Indonesia
- Safe Abortion Helpline: 0878 3955 5100; 0857 2929 5100; 0853 2521 1100
- Nina Afrida. “Abortion today – still secret, but easy to find”. Jakarta Post. Retrieved June 22, 2020 from https://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2013/02/20/abortion-today-still-secret-easy-find.html
- Asia Safe Abortion Partnership (ASAP). “Country Profile Indonesia”. Retrieved June 22, 2020 from http://asap-asia.org/country-profile-indonesia/
- Guttmacher Institute. “Abortion in Indonesia. In Brief series of 2008 no. 2”. Retrieved June 22, 2020 from https://www.guttmacher.org/sites/default/files/report_pdf/ib_abortion_indonesia_0.pdf