Abortion is legal in Mali under certain circumstances. The abortion pills can be purchased from pharmacies with a prescription, and surgical abortions are also available.
Is abortion legal in Mali?
In Mali, therapeutic termination of pregnancy is allowed:
- when the continuation of the pregnancy endangers the life and health of the woman;
- when an illness of particular gravity is diagnosed in the fetus; and
- when the pregnancy is the established consequence of a rape or an incestuous relationship, at the request of the pregnant woman.
However, post-abortion care services are legal, though implementation and access remains mired by challenges.
What are the different post-abortion care services available in Mali?
The two types of post-abortion care services available in Mali are classified as:
- Medical methods: Using pills, such as Misoprostol (Cytotec, Misoclear); and
- Surgical methods: Manual Vacuum Aspiration (MVA).
Who can provide post-abortion care services in Mali?
Legal abortion services can be performed either by a gynecologist, general practitioner, or midwife. Untrained providers can often cause more harm than good. In addition, religious, social, and provider stigma deters many women from seeking out these services.
Where can I go for post-abortion care services in Mali?
Post-abortion care services can be accessed at both government and private health facilities.
What abortion pills are available in Mali?
The two abortion pills that are available in Mali are:
- Misoprostol, which is available under the brand names Misoclear, Cytotecal, and Miso-Fem (200MCG CPR B/4, price 1 000 XOF); and
- Mifepristone, which, in association with Misoprostol, is available under the brand name Mifepack (200MG CPR B/1 + 200MCG CPR B/4, price 4 140 XOF).
Where can I buy abortion pills in Mali?
Misoprostol and Mifepack are available in pharmacies, but cannot be sold without a prescription.
Some pharmacists might sell the abortion pills without a prescription; however, they do not often provide proper instructions on eligibility, dosage, and usage. Please refer to the following page on our website for comprehensive instructions on how to use the pill: https://www.howtouseabortionpill.org/howto/
What do abortion pills look like in Mali?
Price 4 140 XOF
Price 1 000 XOF
Who can I contact for additional abortion information and support in Mali?
The following organizations may be able to provide safe abortion information and support in Mali:
- For Post Abortion Care (PAC) information and support, pleaase contact the following:
Marie Stopes Mali
8000 11 88 (numéro gratuit avec Malitel)
- Association malienne pour la protection et la promotion de la famille AMPPF
Tel: (+223) 20 22 44 94
- ‘Loi n° 02 – 044 / du 24 juin 2002 Relative à la santé de la reproduction, République du Mali’ http://www.sante.gov.ml/