Currently, in Mexico is possible to access safe abortion services. Although the legislation is differentiated according to the State, throughout the country it is possible to request a legal interruption of pregnancy if you were a victim of rape. In addition, in Mexico City and Oaxaca, it is possible to access a voluntary abortion during the first 12 weeks of gestation in a free, safe and voluntary way. In addition to this, it is necessary to mention that, in all the states of the Mexican Republic, there is a presence of at least one feminist group of accompaniment in safe abortion willing to provide information for accessing safe abortion services.
Is abortion legal in Mexico?
In Mexico City (since 2007), Oaxaca (since 2019), Hidalgo (2021) and Veracruz (2021) abortion is legal, safe, free and voluntary during the first 12 weeks of gestation.
If you were a victim of rape in any part of the country, it is important that you know that ALL women, girls and teenagers in Mexico have the right to access a legal, safe and free abortion in ALL states of the country. Under the protection of NOM-046 that regulates all health centers in Mexico, health personnel are obligated to provide abortion services under the concept of good faith to victims of rape who provide written request of the victim under protest of telling the truth and without the requirement of a criminal complaint involved. There should not be a maximum of weeks for the application of this rule.
Within the states of the Mexican Republic, access to a safe abortion is differentiated in each of its 32 states, this is because each state has a different penal code that contemplates different legal grounds for accessing an abortion:
- Aguascalientes- rape and / or if your life is in danger.
- Baja California- rape, your life is in danger and / or unwanted insemination.
- Baja California Sur- rape, your life is in danger, health risks, abnormalities in the fetus, and / or unwanted insemination.
- Campeche- rape and / or health risks.
- Coahuila de Zaragoza- rape, her life is in danger, and / or abnormalities in the fetus.
- Colima- rape, your life is in danger, health risks, abnormalities in the fetus, and / or unwanted insemination.
- Chiapas- rape, her life is in danger, and / or abnormalities in the fetus.
- Chihuahua- rape, health risks, and / or unwanted insemination.
- Durango- rape and / or if your life is in danger.
- Guanajuato- rape
- Guerrero- rape, health risks, unwanted insemination, and / or abnormalities in the fetus.
- Jalisco- rape, your life is in danger, and / or health risks.
- State of Mexico – rape, her life is in danger, and / or abnormalities in the fetus.
- Michoacán de Ocampo- rape, health risks, unwanted insemination, abnormalities in the fetus and / or financial problems
- Morelos- rape, his life is in danger, abnormalities in the fetus and / or unwanted insemination.
- Nayarit- rape, your life is in danger, and / or health risks.
- Nuevo León- rape, your life is in danger, and / or health risks.
- Puebla- rape, her life is in danger, and / or abnormalities in the fetus.
- Querétaro- rape.
- Quintana Roo- rape, her life is in danger, and / or abnormalities in the fetus.
- San Luis Potosí- rape, your life is in danger and / or unwanted insemination.
- Sinaloa- rape and / or if your life is in danger.
- Sonora- rape and / or if your life is in danger.
- Tabasco- rape, your life is in danger and / or unwanted insemination.
- Tamaulipas- rape, your life is in danger, and / or health risks.
- Tlaxcala- rape, health risks, unwanted insemination, and / or abnormalities in the fetus.
- Yucatán- rape, your life is in danger, and / or abnormalities in the fetus.
- Zacatecas- rape, your life is in danger, and / or health risks.
What are the different abortion services available in Mexico?
- Surgical abortion: such as manual vacuum aspiration (MVA) and, although in disuse, also dilatation and curettage (D&L)
- Medical Abortion: using Misoprostol alone (available in practically any pharmacy) or using the combination of Mifepristone and Misoprostol (Mifepristone is a controlled drug that can only be obtained with a medical prescription in some pharmacies)
Where can I go for abortion services in Mexico?
Abortions in Mexico can be carried out by registered health professionals such as:
- Practicing physicians
Where can I go to access a safe abortion?
There are options for all budgets. To some of these places, women will have to travel to Mexico City or Oaxaca.
- Private hospitals
- Public hospitals
- Private clinics
- Private sanatoriums
- Private Registered Health Practitioners.
- Private facilities specialized in sexual and reproductive health, ie Marie Stopes
How much does an abortion cost?
In Mexico, the price of abortion services varies depending on the type of abortion and the center of care. While in the government (public) facilities listed in the CDMX Health Secretariat they provide free abortion services.
In private clinics:
- Medical abortion from 4 to 9 weeks of pregnancy costs on average between $ 500 MXN and $ 3,500 MXN
- Manual vacuum aspiration from 8 weeks to 12 weeks on average between $ 2,500 MXN – $ 7,000 MXN
- Surgical abortion of 8 weeks and more than 12 weeks on average between $ 2,800 MXN – $ 9,500 MXN
- Most procedures include birth control for free.
- Medical aid (insurance) has criteria to cover abortion. Please review what yours covers.
What are the legal and safe medications available?
Depending on where you are, these are the legal and safe medications for safe abortion. Just remember that it is important to follow accurate guidelines so that you do not harm yourself. When possible, is highly recommended to consult your doctor.
- Mifepristone (RU-486) plus misoprostol (Cytotec, Cyrux, Taneciprol)
- Misoprostol only (Cytotec, Cyrux, Taneciprol)
Where can I buy abortion pills in Mexico?
In almost all Mexican pharmacies you can buy Misoprostol without a medical prescription. If a pharmacy does not sell them to you, you can ask in another pharmacies until you find one where they sell it. There are generic and patent brands with variable prices that can range from approximately $ 500 Mexican pesos to $ 3,500 Mexican pesos. Both generic and patent brands are highly effective. There are even several pharmacies that provide home services.
Mifepristone can only be purchased with a medical prescription at some pharmacies.
What do abortion pills look like in Mexico?
There are various brands available. Pfizer’s Cytotec is the patent brand, but there are several known generic presentations. Here are some of those presentations:
And this is what Mefaprix, the brand used for mifepristone, looks like:
Who can I contact for additional abortion information and support in Mexico?
You can contact the following medical centers and organizations, by phone or directly on their websites:
- For information on access for legal reasons in the states or in a situation of criminalization: Group of Information in Elected Reproduction (GIRE): Tel: 01 (55) 5658 6684 / https://gire.org.mx/
- For information on services in CDMX clinics:
- Abortion Fund for Social Justice MARIA: Tel: 01 800 832 73 11/5243 5054 | https://www.fondomaria.org/
- Free clinics of the government of Mexico City: Tel: 51320909 | http://ile.salud.cdmx.gob.mx/
- Marie Stopes: Tel: 01 800 200 9000/5542 0000 | https://mariestopes.org.mx/
- Gineclinic in Mexico City: Tel: (55) 4616-5051 | https://gineclinic.com.mx/
- Promédica Mujer: Tel: 5335 1867/01 (800) 849 5214 | https://www.promedicamujer.mx/
- For information and support for access to safe abortion in all other States where abortion is not legal under free will:
Was this useful? What else would you like to see here? Contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org