In Chad, a legal abortion is only authorized under very specific conditions specified by the law on reproductive health. Access to abortion pills in a pharmacy is conditioned by the holding of a prescription. Surgical abortions are also available.
Is abortion legal in Chad?
In Chad, voluntary termination of pregnancy is only legal in the following cases and on the prescription of an advisory group of doctors after receiving the opinion of a judge:
- when the continuation of the pregnancy endangers the life and health of the woman; and
- when a condition of particular severity is diagnosed in the fetus.
However, post-abortion care services are legal, though implementation and access remains mired by challenges.
What are the different post-abortion care services available in Chad?
The two types of post-abortion care services available in Chad are classified as:
- Medical methods: Using pills, such as Misoprostol (Cytotec, Misoclear); and
- Surgical methods: Manual Vacuum Aspiration (MVA).
Who can provide post-abortion care services in Chad?
Legal abortion services can be performed either by a gynecologist, general practitioner, or midwife. Untrained providers can often cause more harm than good. In addition, religious, social, and provider stigma deters many women from seeking out these services.
Where can I go for post-abortion care services in Chad?
Post-abortion care services can be accessed at both government and private health facilities.
What abortion pills are available in Chad?
The two abortion pills that are available in Chad are:
- Misoprostol, which is available under the brand names Misoclear and Cytotec; and
- Mifepristone, which, in association with Misoprostol, is available under the brand name Mifepak.
Where can I buy abortion pills in Chad?
Misoprostol and Mifepak are available in pharmacies, but cannot be sold without a prescription.
Some pharmacists might sell the abortion pills without a prescription; however, they do not often provide proper instructions on eligibility, dosage, and usage. Please refer to the following page on our website for comprehensive instructions on how to use the pill: https://www.howtouseabortionpill.org/howto/
Who can I contact for additional abortion information and support in Chad?
The following organizations may be able to provide information and support on sexual and reproductive health in Chad:
Was this useful? What else would you like to see here? Contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- ‘Tchad Loi portant promotion de la santé de reproduction’ Loi n°006/PR/2002 du 15 avril 2002 http://www.droit-afrique.com/upload/doc/tchad/Tchad-Loi-2002-06-promotion-sante-reproduction.pdf