Abortion is legal in Togo under certain circumstances. Abortion pills can be purchased from pharmacies on prescription and surgical abortions are also available. The abortion pill usually costs between 3,500 XOF and 7,000 XOF.
Is abortion legal in Togo?
In Togo, the voluntary termination of pregnancy is authorized when the pregnancy is the consequence of rape or an incestuous relationship. It is also permitted when the continuation of the pregnancy endangers the life and health of the pregnant woman or when there is a high probability that the fetus will have a particularly serious condition.
However, post-abortion care services are legal, though implementation and access remains mired by challenges.
What are the different post-abortion care services available in Togo?
The two types of post-abortion care services available in Togo are classified as:
- Medical methods: Using pills, such as Misoprostol (Cytotec, Misoclear); and
- Surgical methods: Manual Vacuum Aspiration (MVA).
Who can provide post-abortion care services in Togo?
Legal abortion services can be performed either by a gynecologist, general practitioner, or midwife. Untrained providers can often cause more harm than good. In addition, religious, social and provider stigma deters many women from seeking out these services.
Where can I go for post-abortion care services in Togo?
Post-abortion care services can be accessed at both government and private health facilities.
What is the cost of a legal abortion in Togo?
Abortion pills can be bought at pharmacies at a cost of between 3,500 XOF and 7,000 XOF. The price depends on the brand, the location of the pharmacy, and the pharmacist himself. Surgical abortions also cost around 25,000 XOF to 75,000 XOF. The price depends on the clinic you go to. See below for safe and less expensive options.
What abortion pills are available in Togo?
The two abortion pills that are available in Togo are:
- Misoprostol is available under the brand names Miso-Fem (200MCG CPR B/4, price 840 XOF), Misoclear and Cytotec.
- Mifepristone, in association with Misoprostol, is available under the brand name Mifepack (200MG CPR B/1 + 200MCG CPR B/4, price 3 740 XOF).
Can I buy abortion pills in Togo?
Misoprostol and Mifepack are available in pharmacies but cannot be sold without a prescription.
Some pharmacists might sell the abortion pills without a prescription; however, they do not often provide proper instructions on eligibility, dosage, and usage. Please refer to the following page on our website for comprehensive instructions on how to use the pill: https://www.howtouseabortionpill.org/howto/
What do abortion pills look like in Togo?
Price, 840 XOF
Price, 3 740 XOF
Who can I contact for additional abortion information and support in Togo?
The following organizations may be able to provide information and support on sexual and reproductive health in Togo:
- Association Togolaise pour le bien Etre Familial
Tel: +228 22 23 30 00
- ‘IVG autorisée en cas de viol’ RÉPUBLIQUE TOGOLOAISE. https://www.republicoftogo.com/Toutes-les-rubriques/Politique/IVG-autorisee-en-cas-de-viol#:~:text=Le%20Parlement%20togolais%20a%20adopté,%2Dt%2Don%20appris%20vendredi.