After Using The Pill
What Might You Feel After Using The Abortion Pill?
After You Take Mifepristone
- Some women have light bleeding after taking mifepristone. Others don't. Both are normal.
After You Take Misoprostol
- Cramping and bleeding are the main effects. These symptoms are useful because they show the medicines are working. But how much cramping and bleeding will you have?
- For some women, cramping is very strong —much more painful than menstrual cramps (if you have menstrual cramps).
- For some women, bleeding is heavier than a normal menstrual period. It is also common to pass blood clots in the first few hours after taking misoprostol. The size of the clots will vary depending on how far along the pregnancy was.
- For other women, cramping is mild and bleeding is like a normal menstrual period.
- Do not be alarmed if you have more bleeding and cramping than a regular period
- If you experience bad cramping ibuprofen is a good medicine to cope with pain. You can buy ibuprofen 200 mg strength over the counter (without a prescription) in most countries. Take 3-4 pills (200 mg) every 6-8 hours. This should make your pain better.
- You can drink and eat as you like.
- Try to stay in a comfortable place until you feel better.
- Most women feel better in less than 24 hours.
Note:Two weeks after your abortion, a pregnancy test will still be positive due to lingering hormones in your body. If you continue to feel pregnancy symptoms (have breast tenderness, nausea, fatigue, etc.) after using the pills, visit a doctor.
What are signs of complication?
While passing a pregnancy, the above symptoms are normal. Be alert. Below are some signs that you may be at risk for a complication.
Feeling very sick.You may have a fever, nausea and vomiting the day you take misoprostol. This is normal. You should feel better and better each day after using abortion pills. You should not feel sick. If you feel more sick any day after you use misoprostol, you should seek medical attention.