Medical abortion is a very safe procedure.
And like any other medical procedure it must be talked about with total normality; Like all medical procedures, there can be risks, but the reality is that serious problems are uncommon.
Medical abortion is a process that is done with pills.
You can also look it up as “self-induced abortion” or “self-managed abortion”, and it is completely safe to do it at your own home with the right amount of pills and following the abortion guidelines by the World Health Organization & the International Federation of Gynecology and Obstetrics
If you still have doubts or have unanswered questions, you have come to the right place, because in this blog we will share with you in great detail all about the abortion pill.
Table of Contents.
- What is the abortion pill?
- How does the abortion pill works on my body?
- How will I feel during a medical abortion?
- Recommendations after a self-managed abortion
- Is it safe to take an abortion pill?
- Does abortion pills have side effects?
What is the Abortion Pill?
Abortion Pill is the combination of two medicines used to terminate a pregnancy.
These medicines are Mifeprisone and Misoprostol.
- This is taken first.
- Mifepristone temporarily stops the production of the hormone progesterone (also known as the pregnancy hormone) in your body.
- Without progesterone, the pregnancy cannot continue.
- The effect of this pill on your body lasts a maximum of 48 hours.
Important Note: Mifepristone does not cause or initiate abortion, it simply stops the pregnancy process (keep producing progesterone for ‘n’ time)
- This is the second pill, used to induce abortion.
- It should be used 24 to 48 hours after taking mifepristone.
- It can be used sublingually (under your tongue), between the gums, or vaginally; all of them are equally effective. Choose the one that you feel most comfortable with.
- However, if you live in a legally restricted context we highly recommend you to use them sublingually.
- Misoprostol causes dilation of the cervix and evacuation of the product.
- Once you use the pills, misoprostol causes bleeding and heavy cramps; while each body is different, remember that bleeding, cramps, and perhaps dizziness are the normal symptoms to experience during your process.
- To reduce the pain you can take Ibuprofen or any over-the-counter pain relievers.
A miso-only abortion can be performed. But the combination Mifepristone + Misoprostol is always recommended for a higher success rate.
How does the abortion pill work on my body?
In this section, we will explain in more detail what happens when you take abortion pills.
The first pill you should take is mifepristone; its effect is that it will stop the pregnancy.
Some people may feel dizzy to the point of throwing up; If this happens 30 minutes after you have taken the pill, it is safe to continue with the process.
Feel free to ask your doctor or nurse what you can take if you experience dizziness or bleeding.
The second pill to continue the abortion process is misoprostol.
- You should take it up to 48 hours after taking the first pill (mifepristone).
- This pill will cause heavy cramping and bleeding, similar to the ones experienced during the menstrual period.
- During this bleeding, it is normal that you will pass large blood clots or tissue; it can last a couple of hours.
- In case you do not have any bleeding within 24 hours after taking misoprostol, contact a health professional of your choice.
After having passed the pregnancy tissue (the product of pregnancy), the cramping and bleeding will slow down. It is completely normal that after you have discarded the product, your body continues to bleed (to a lesser extent) for some days, or even a few weeks. This means that your uterus is being cleansed of tissues and debris after your abortion process.
Our recommendation is to continue using pads for the next few days even after you have completed your abortion process until you confirm that the bleeding has stopped completely.
Keep in mind that If you decide to take a pregnancy test, you should wait at least 4 weeks after your procedure.
If you want to confirm if your abortion was successful as soon as possible, we recommend you do an ultrasound.
How will I feel during a medical abortion?
Every body is different, but these are the general symptoms that we have been able to identify during a meditate abortion.
You are likely to experience:
- Strong cramps and pain around your belly area.
- Heavy bleeding with large clots.
- Nausea and vomiting.
- Chills or mild fever.
To help you feel more comfortable, we recommend you to:
- Stay hydrated
- Eat, even if it’s a light meal. Do not skip your meals.
- Ibuprofen and Advil for pain relief.
- Not take aspirin.
- Place a heating pad or a hot water bottle on your belly.
- Use several maxi pads during and after the procedure.
Things to keep in mind after a self-managed abortion:
- Avoid doing demanding exercise or strong labor during the 1st week after the procedure.
- Returning to your day-to-day activities (eg: going back to work) can cause cramps and bleed, this is normal.
- Breast sensitivity and swelling could last up to 2 weeks and that is a completely normal part of the process.
- It is normal to pass clots, especially in the early hours of the day or when you get out of bed.
- Most pregnancy symptoms begin to disappear within 3-5 days after the abortion, and nausea usually disappears by the third day.
Is it safe to take the abortion pill?
Yes, it is a very effective and safe procedure.
Even before the current pandemic situation, the World Health Organization (WHO) recommended medical abortion as a safe, effective and easy practice to perform without the need to go to a medical center.
The effectiveness sometimes depends on how far you are in the pregnancy when you take the medicine.
- For people who are 8 weeks pregnant or less, it works about 94-98 out of 100 times.
- For people who are 8-9 weeks pregnant, it works about 94-96 out of 100 times.
- For people who are 9-10 weeks pregnant, it works about 91-93 out of 100 times. If you’re given an extra dose of medicine, it works about 99 out of 100 times.
- For people who are 10-11 weeks pregnant, it works about 87 out of 100 times. If you’re given an extra dose of medicine, it works about 98 out of 100 times.
*(Source: Planned Parenthood)
In the case that medical abortion is incomplete, you can proceed again with the intake of pills or a surgical procedure if necessary.
Do abortion pills have side effects?
As we stated before, the abortion pill is very safe and effective.
Health professionals assure that a medical abortion does not affect in any way your fertility, cause problems in a future pregnancy or overall affect your health in any way. It also does not increase your risk of breast cancer.
Abortion (surgery or medical) does not affect or cause problems in future pregnancies, such as birth defects, premature or low-birth-weight babies, ectopic pregnancies, miscarriages, or infant death.
Always keep in mind that abortion is a gradual process: Let your body be your guide, it will tell you how you are feeling and how the procedure is developing.
If you are looking for information or support to make your decision visit How to use Abortion Pills and for more personalized and in-depth assistance you can visit safe2choose or chat directly with Ally.