After an abortion, your body will need time to recover. You will need to eat well to regain strength and make up for the blood loss caused during the abortion. You will also need to rest to gain strength and let your body deal with the hormone fluctuations caused by the abortion. In addition to having a good supportive system to lean on for companionship and aid, you need to eat well and take care of yourself.
Foods advisable to eat during and after an abortion with pills:
- Food or drinks that help with nausea. Have anything that helps settle your queasy stomach at hand for when you feel nauseous. This could be ginger ale, soup, a sports drink, mint tea, or any other drink that helps take your nausea away.
- Stay Hydrated. Before anything, you need to drink lots of water before, during, and after an abortion. Hydration is important to help your body recover from the abortion. When you’re well hydrated, your urine should be pale yellow. If it’s too dark, you should be drinking more water.
- Foods rich in iron. Eating foods rich in iron is good for you since abortions result in a loss of blood that needs to be replenished. Make sure that your diet includes plenty of protein, iron, B vitamins, and calcium after an abortion, as your body will need lots of these to recover. Fruits and vegetables, wholegrains, and foods enriched with calcium and iron can be particularly good for you. Meals like eggs mixed with milk, saffron milk, turmeric and milk, and dates are all good for you during this period.
- Comfort food. As long as you consume enough proper nutrients from other meals, it is absolutely fine to indulge in foods that make you happy and relaxed. You’re allowed to enjoy your cheat days.
Foods to stay away from during and after an abortion with pills:
- Grapefruit. Avoid eating grapefruit or drinking grapefruit juice while using medication such as Mifepristone unless your doctor or pharmacist says you may do so safely. Grapefruit may change the amount of Mifepristone that is absorbed in the body.
- Refined carbohydrates and sugars. Low-fiber starches and carbohydrates are very important and healthy carbs that should be included in a post-abortion diet. However, stay away from refined carbohydrates and sugars like white rice, white sugar, pasta, and other snacks made from white flour. These can lead to rapid fluctuations in blood glucose levels and have poor nutritional value. When possible, opt for whole-grain varieties.
- Sweets. Candies, carbonated beverages, cakes, pastries, and other sweet treats have a very high glycemic index and should be avoided. These are not very nourishing for the body and can cause very rapid fluctuations in blood sugar levels.
- Fatty milk, meats, and soy products. Inflammation can lead to pain and delay recovery. Foods very high in fat can cause inflammation and should be avoided. Fatty meat, fried food, and full-cream dairy products are therefore not advisable. Soy products like tofu are very healthy, but they have a lot of phytates. These substances reduce iron absorption, and soy products should be avoided for a few weeks following abortion.
If you are looking for reliable and comprehensive information on abortion pills and its usage, visit howtouseabortionpill.org.