The Stonewall riots of 1969 blazed a rainbow-coloured trail across the world and can safely be considered the watershed moment that kicked off the modern era LGBTQ rights movement. June rings in hope as we look back at how far we’ve come, all while paving the future ahead.
But the questions that lingers on is – how do we love ourselves in a world that frequently continues to send the message that we don’t belong? Let these words of wisdom from LGBTQ+ activists and icons lead the way. And we hope you come back to this little page on the web whenever you wish to seek some inspiration to never negotiate on your truth.
1) Ellen Page dropping some truth bombs
2) Chaz Bono speaking to all our hearts
3) Tammy Baldwin, first openly gay US senator, from her “Never Doubt” speech at the Millennium March for Equality, 2000
4) Excuse us while we pin this on our Pinterest wall…
5) Ladies and gentlemen, the one and only Audre Lorde
6) And then there’s this little gem..
7) Legendary Gay Activist, Harvey Milk
8) Alice Walker serving us some pure loving with a side of sunshine
9) One more time for the people in the back?
10) And this anonymous gold nugget of truth…
While the struggle remains to secure full equality for all LGBTQ+ people, we hope these words inspire you to keep moving forward. Wishing you a Happy Pride Month full of joy, acceptance, and self-love.
Sneha Nair is the Communications officer at howtouseabortionpill.org and she continues to be haunted by the parenthesis she left opened in class 8.