Abortion Laws in Zimbabwe
Is abortion legal in Zimbabwe?
A legal abortion in Zimbabwe is only allowed in the following circumstances:
- In cases of rape and/or incest or sex with a mentally handicapped woman (Statutory rape is not legal grounds for abortion in Zimbabwe).
- In order to save the woman’s life or prevent permanent impairment of her physical health.
- When the fetus is at serious risk of being born with physical or mental deformity.
Any women who procures an abortion for reasons not listed above can face up to five years in prison and/or be liable to a fine not exceeding level 10.
What are the different abortion services available in Zimbabwe?
- Medical Abortion (MA)
- Manual Vacuum Aspiration (MVA)
- Dilation & Curettage (D&C)
- Electric Aspiration
Who can perform legal abortions in Zimbabwe?
An abortion may only be performed by a medical practitioner in an institution designated by the Ministry of Health and Childcare, with the written permission of the hospital superintendent or administrator.
In order for the abortion procedure to be performed, two medical practitioners who are not from the same med- ical partnership or institution must certify that the requisite preconditions for an abortion have been met.
In a case of unlawful intercourse, (rape, incest, or intercourse with a mentally handicapped woman), a court magistrate of the jurisdiction in which the abortion would take place must issue a certificate certifying that the pregnancy was probably that the result of unlawful intercourse.
Where can I go for legal abortion services in Zimbabwe?
Legal abortion services are available at both public and private health institutions as designated by the Ministry of health and Child Care.
What is the cost of a safe abortion in Zimbabwe?
- Abortion pills can cost anywhere between USD 20 – USD 60 per pill.
- Surgical abortion procedures vary in cost depending on the institution providing the service, however the service is free for low income and/or unemployed women.
Which abortion pills are available in Zimbabwe?
- Misoprostol (Cytotec)
- Mifepristone (LinePharma)
Can I buy abortion pills at a pharmacy in Zimbabwe?
Abortion pills can be bought at the pharmacy but only with an accompanying prescription.
Who can I contact for additional information in Zimbabwe?
- Marie Stopes Zimbabwe (Population Services Zimbabwe)
Phone numbers: +263 772 145223/24 or +263 0808 00 19/20 or 08010020/08080020
Email: Info@psz.co.zw or firstname.lastname@example.org
Was this useful? What else would you like to see here?
Contact us at: email@example.com
- 1. “Abortion in Zimbabwe: A national study of the incidence of induced abortion, unintended pregnancy and post-abortion care in 2016.” PLOS One, National Center for Biotechnology Information. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6200425/
- 2. “Women’s Reproductive Rights in Zimbabwe: A Shadow Report.” Center for Reproductive Rights. https://www.reproductiverights.org/sites/default/files/documents/SRZimbabwe97en.pdf
- 3. “Abortion in Zimbabwe: A national study of the incidence of induced abortion, unintended pregnancy and post-abortion care.” PLOS One, National Center for Biotechnology Information. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6200425/