Abortion Laws in Sierra Leone
Is abortion legal in Sierra Leone?
Abortion in Sierra Leone is illegal and there are no exceptions.
A few NGOs and hospitals with trained personnel perform post- abortion care after a woman has had a miscarriage or an unsafe abortion.
What are the different abortion services available in Sierra Leone?
- Medical Abortion (MA)
- Manual Vacuum Aspiration (MVA)
*Note: Medication abortion (MA) is permitted for gestational age 5–9 weeks (and up to 12 weeks under certain circumstances) and Manual Vacuum Aspiration (MVA) for 5–12 weeks (and up to 15 weeks under certain circumstances).
Who can perform abortions in Sierra Leone?
Any trained medical worker at a licensed government or private hospital can conduct a safe abortion.
Where can I go for abortion services in Sierra Leone?
Pharmacists can provide abortion pills with a written prescription from a doctor.
What is the cost of a safe abortion in Sierra Leone?
The average cost of a medical abortion is between $7.00-$16.00.
What are the legal and safe drugs available in Sierra Leone?
- Mifepristone + Misoprostol (MM Combi Kit)
Can I buy abortion pills at a pharmacy in Sierra Leone?
Abortion pills are available in some pharmacies but can only be dispensed with an accompanying prescription.
What do abortion pills look like in Sierra Leone?
Who can I contact for additional information and support in Sierra Leone?
- Planned Parenthood Association of Sierra Leone (PPA SL)
- Marie Stopes International Sierra Leone:
Shortcode: 3535 (Toll free with Orange & Africell)
- Ministry of Health & Sanitation of Sierra Leone
Was this useful? What else would you like to see here?
Contact us at: email@example.com
- “Unsafe Abortion in Sierra Leone: An Examination of Costs and Burden of Treatment on Healthcare Resources.” Journal of Women's Health Care, https://www.longdom.org/open-access/unsafe-abortion-in-sierra-leone-an-examination-of-costs-and-burden-oftreatment-on-healthcare-resources-2167-0420-1000228.pdf
- “Unsafe Abortion in Sierra Leone: A Report of Community And Health System Assessments.” Republic of Sierra Leone Ministry of Health and Sanitation Reproductive and Child Health Directorate, https://www.medbox.org/sl-mother-child-health/unsafe-abortion-in-sierra-leone-a-report-of-community-and-health-system-assessments-consolidated-report/preview