Abortion Laws in Namibia
Is abortion legal in Namibia?
A legal abortion in Namibia is only allowed in the following circumstances:
- In cases of rape and/or incest or sex with a mentally handicapped woman (Statutory rape is not legal grounds for abortion in Namibia)
- In order to save the woman’s life or prevent permanent impairment of her physical health.
- When the fetus is at serious risk of being born with physical or mental deformity.
Any women who procures an abortion for reasons not listed above can face up to five years in prison and/or be liable to a fine.
What are the different abortion services available in Namibia?
- Medical Abortion (MA)
- Manual Vacuum Aspiration (MVA)
- Dilation & Curettage (D&C)
Who can perform legal abortions in Namibia?
An abortion may only be performed by a medical practitioner in a State Hospital or an approved medical facility.
In order for the abortion procedure to be performed, two medical practitioners in addition to the attending practitioner must certify that the requisite preconditions for an abortion have been met.
Where can I go for legal abortion services in Namibia?
Legal abortion services are available at a public health institution or approved private facility.
What is the cost of a safe abortion in Namibia?
- Abortion pills can cost anywhere between USD 20 – USD 60 per pill.
- Surgical abortion procedures vary in cost depending on the institution providing the service
Which abortion pills are available in Namibia?
- Misoprostol (Cytotec)
Can I buy abortion pills at a pharmacy in Namibia?
Abortion pills can be bought at the pharmacy but only with an accompanying prescription.
Who can I contact for additional information in Namibia?
- Namibian Planned Parenthood Association (NAPPA)
Phone number: +264 61 230 250
- Ministry of Health and Social Services - Primary Health Care
Was this useful? What else would you like to see here?
Contact us at: email@example.com
- 1. “Abortion and Sterilization Act 2 of 1975.” https://laws.parliament.na/cms_documents/abortion-and-sterilization-b5bd4075fb.pdf
- 2. “Namibia Country Fact Sheet – Unsafe Abortion.” Heard.org.za. https://www.heard.org.za/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/namibia-country-factsheet-abortion-2016.pdf
- 3. “HEALTH-NAMIBIA: Illegal Abortions Common Despite Risks.” Inter Press Service News agency. http://www.ipsnews.net/2009/10/health-namibia-illegal-abortions-common-despite-risks/