Abortion Laws in Côte d’Ivoire
Is abortion legal in Côte d’Ivoire?
An abortion in Côte d’Ivoire is only permitted to save the life of the woman. In addition, three physicians need to certify that the life of the women can only be saved with an abortion.
The Penal Code also prohibits any incitement of abortion through public discussion, advertisement or the sale of various substances and products.
However, Post –Abortion Care services are legal though implementation and access remains mired by challenges.
What are the different (PAC) services available in Côte d’Ivoire?
- Medical Abortion (MA) – Abortion with pills (Misoprostol)
- Surgical Abortion
- Manual Vacuum Aspiration (MVA)
- Electronic Vacuum Aspiration (EVA)
- Dilation & Curettage (D&C) – This method is highly outdated with a higher rate of morbidity.
Who can provide PAC services in Côte d’Ivoire?
Legal abortion services can be performed either by a Gynecologist, General Practitioner or Nurse. However, the process is costly (USD 30 - USD 112) and untrained providers can often cause more harm than good. In addition, religious, social and provider stigma deter many women from seeking out these services.
Where can I go for PAC services in Côte d’Ivoire?
PAC services can be accessed at both government and private health facilities.
What abortion pills are available in Côte d’Ivoire?
- Misoprostol is available under the brand name Misofem
Can I buy abortion pills at a pharmacy in Côte d’Ivoire?
- Misoprostol is available in pharmacies, however cannot be sold without a prescription.
Note: Some pharmacists might sell the pills without a prescription, however they do not often provide proper instructions on eligibility, dosage and usage for a medical abortion. Please refer to the following page on our website for comprehensive instructions on how to use the pill: https://www.howtouseabortionpill.org/howto/
Who can I contact for additional abortion information and support in Côte d’Ivoire?
- L'association des Sage-femmes Ivoiriennes (ASFI) - http://www.asfici.net/index.php
Tel: +225 24000208
Soutien 24/7: +225 01010101
Address: SOUTRA VISION immeuble, Plateau, Abidjan, Cote d'ivoire
- Association de Soutien à l'Autopromotion Sanitaire et Urbaine (ASAPSU) - http://www.asapsu-ci.org/
Tel: +225 22 47 35 02
Address: Boulevard François Mitterrand, Abidjan, Côte d'Ivoire
- Association Ivoirienne pour le Bien-Etre Familial (AIBEF)
Tel: +225 21 21 80 80
Address: Boulevard Valéry Giscard d'Estaing, Abidjan, Côte d'Ivoire
- Lydia Call Center
WhatsApp Numbers: +221 78 193 93 93 / +221 78 312 26 26
Telephone Number: 800 800 96 (Free number)
- Unis pour Sauver des Vies (USV)
Tel: +225 89 92 52 83
Was this useful? What else would you like to see here?
Contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org